Auto Accident Attorney Near Me
Illinois Auto Accident Attorney Near Me Serving Clients in Chicagoland
When a serious car accident in Chicago results in serious or life-threatening personal injuries, it is important to hold the responsible party accountable. Did you know that there were 32,166 fatal motor vehicle crashes in the U.S. in 2015? The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) cites that fact and reports that 914 of those deadly collisions occurred in Illinois. Given that there are nearly nine million licensed drivers in the state of Illinois and more than 13 million registered automobiles according to the Illinois Department of Transportation (DOT) motor vehicle crashes happen more often than most Chicago residents would like to imagine.
If you recently suffered personal injury in a traffic collision caused by another driver’s negligence, it is important to learn more about seeking financial compensation. An experienced Chicago auto accident attorney can assist with your case.
Common Injuries in Illinois Car Crashes
At the law office of Michael T. Friedman & Associates P.C., we regularly assist client with a wide variety of injury claims in connection with car crashes. As a fact sheet from WebMD explains, whiplash—a form of neck strain—is a common injury among car accident victims. It occurs with “any impact or blow that causes your head to jerk forward or backward,” and is a frequent result of rear-end car collisions. Symptoms of whiplash can include the following:
- Pain and tightness in the neck;
- Decreased range of neck movement;
- Neck muscles feeling hard or knotted;
- Pain when rocking the head back and forward or from side to side;
- Pain or stiffness when you try to look over your shoulder;
- Tenderness in the neck; and
- Headaches at the base of your skull.
While some whiplash injuries can heal with home care, it is extremely important to seek medical attention after a traffic accident. As the WebMD fact sheet clarifies, the same blows that can cause whiplash also can cause a concussion or another form of traumatic brain injury (TBI).
Where Do Most Car Accidents Happen?
When you are looking for an auto accident attorney near you, you might also be wondering where most car crashes tend to happen. According to the Illinois DOT report, an overwhelming number of serious traffic collisions occur on urban roads, accounting for nearly 75 percent of all injury crashes:
- 20.2 percent of injury accidents and 12 percent of fatal crashes occur on state highways in urban areas;
- 51.8 percent of injury accidents and 29.9 percent of fatal accidents occur on city streets and roads in urban areas;
- Only 2 percent of all rural injury accidents and 6.3 percent of fatal collisions in rural areas occur on state highways;
- 8.5 percent of injury accidents and 20 percent of fatal crashes happen on rural county and local roads; and
- 14.7 percent of injury accidents and 27.8 percent of fatal accidents occur on rural unmarked state routes.
While a majority of injury crashes happen in urban areas, a slight majority of fatal collisions (55 percent) occur on rural highways, roads, and state routes.