Chicago Car Accident Lawyers
Dedicated Attorneys Serving the Needs of Car Accident Victims in Chicago
The chaos and confusion you experience when you are hurt in a car accident may only be the beginning of your suffering. You may incur considerable medical bills for treatment, and will lose wages if you are unable to work due to your injuries. In addition, you may endure significant pain and suffering in the weeks following your accident. Illinois law does allow you to recover compensation from the negligent driver, but these cases are extremely complex.
Filing a Claim for Compensation
Our car accident lawyers at Michael T. Friedman & Associates have the experience and legal knowledge necessary to ensure you obtain the full amount of compensation available under the law. We provide legal representation throughout the claims process, including:
- Filing an Insurance Claim: A Chicago car accident case starts by filing a claim with the responsible driver’s insurance company. Our attorneys assist by preparing a demand letter along with supporting documents that establish your right to compensation.
- Settlement Discussions: While many cases do settle before filing a lawsuit, there are usually multiple stages of negotiations. Often, an insurer will deny the initial demand, but will make a counteroffer. Our lawyers engage in settlement discussions on your behalf, ensuring that any offer by the insurance company is fair and sufficient to cover your losses.
- Litigation and Trial: If settlement discussions are unsuccessful, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to obtain the compensation you deserve under Illinois law. After we start the litigation process in a Chicago car accident case, we handle all phases of the pretrial process, including:
- Bringing motions to benefit your case, or fighting against those filed by the defendant;
- Discovery, which involves requesting documents, reviewing responses to the requests, and conducting depositions;
- Appearing in court on your behalf for status conferences and other hearings; and,
- Pursuing your right to compensation when the case proceeds to trial.
Illinois Law May Limit Your Right to Compensation
There are certain legal issues that may bar or reduce your compensation in an auto accident case, such as:
- Statute of Limitations: Under Illinois law, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the responsible driver. After the statute of limitations expires, you are forever barred from pursuing a claim in court. You can protect your interests by consulting with one of our attorneys as soon as you are able after the incident.
- Comparative Fault: Illinois has enacted comparative fault legislation, which will reduce your compensation amount if your own conduct contributed to your injuries. For example, if a jury believes you were 20 percent at fault because you were speeding, your compensation is reduced by 20 percent.
Discuss Your Injuries with an Experienced Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
Please contact the attorneys at Michael T. Friedman & Associates for more information on car accident cases. You can reach our Chicago office by calling 312-339-8816 or visiting our website to schedule a free consultation.