Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
Trust an Experienced Chicago Lawyer for a Personal Injury Case
Any number of unfortunate circumstances can lead you to suffer injuries in an accident, but the effects on your life will still be profound. You will incur bills for medical treatment, and may lose wages due to an inability to work. Plus, you may experience pain and suffering that can be debilitating. Fortunately, Illinois law allows you to recover compensation if someone else’s negligence was the cause of your injuries.
Representing Victims of Serious Accidents
At Michael T. Friedman & Associates, our attorneys have more than two decades of experience fighting for the rights of victims who sustain injuries in an accident. We can help you obtain compensation for losses resulting from:
- Car Accidents: Traffic-related incidents are among the most common types of personal injury cases, but there are still complicated issues involving fault and proof of damages.
- Premises Liability: Property owners have an obligation to keep their premises safe for those who enter upon it, and they can be held liable for failure to do so when a person is injured.
- Dog Bites and Animal Attacks: Illinois follows the “one bite” rule when it comes to animal bites, which means that a dog’s owner can be held financially responsible even if he or she did not know that it was dangerous.
- Workplace Accidents: Many on-the-job injuries are covered under workers’ compensation laws, but the process can be challenging. Plus, there are some situations where an employer may be directly liable.
- Medical Malpractice: When a healthcare provider makes an error in delivering treatment, the implications for the patient can be severe and long-lasting.
Anatomy of a Personal Injury Case
The majority of Chicago personal injury cases involve negligence, which requires you to prove:
- The responsible party had a duty of care to avoid causing an unreasonable risk of harm to others;
- That person breached the duty of care;
- The breach of duty was the cause of your injuries; and,
- You suffered damages as a result.
Note that time is of the essence in filing a claim for compensation in a Chicago personal injury case, as Illinois has established a two-year statute of limitations for these matters. You must file a lawsuit within that amount of time, or you are forever barred from pursuing the negligent party.
Your amount of compensation is based upon the losses you suffer, which hinges on the concept of damages. There are two types of damages available:
- Economic Damages, including your medical bills, lost wages, and other ascertainable losses; and,
- Non-Economic Damages, such as pain and suffering, and the losses you suffer due to the impact on your personal relationships.
Consult with a Chicago Personal Injury Attorney
If you suffered an injury due to negligence, the personal injury lawyers at Michael T. Friedman & Associates can help you obtain the compensation you deserve. Our legal team has represented many victims in the Chicago area in accident cases, so please call us at 312-339-8816 or visit us online today to set up a free, no obligations consultation.