Skilled Legal Representation in Chicago Slip and Fall Cases
Slip and fall accidents can happen when you least expect them, such as while shopping, having dinner at a restaurant, or even in your own apartment building. If you are injured, your losses can be significant. Not only will you have steep medical bills, but you may also suffer financially if you are unable to work. The pain and suffering, and the impact on your personal relationships, can be devastating.
Duties of Illinois Property Owners
You may be entitled to compensation if a property owner was negligent in maintaining the premises, and the slip and fall lawyers at Michael T. Friedman & Associates can explain your options. These cases are based upon premises liability in Illinois, which requires you to prove:
- The property owner had a duty to keep you safe when present upon the premises;
- The owner breached this duty of care by allowing an unsafe, hazardous condition to exist on the property;
- You slipped and fell, and sustained injuries, due to the property owner’s breach of duty; and,
- You suffered losses as a result of your slip and fall accident.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Every situation is unique, but there are some common causes involved with slip and fall cases, such as:
- Dangerous Surfaces: When debris or spills are not addressed within a reasonable time, victims may slip and sustain injuries.
- Cracked Sidewalks: A property owner is also responsible for exterior areas upon the premises, including sidewalks, driveways, and entryways. If you are hurt because you stumble upon uneven surfaces or broken pavement, you may have a slip and fall claim.
- Impassable Aisles and Thoroughfares: Especially in retail settings, inventory items, ladders, boxes, or equipment can create hazardous obstacles. A customer who is injured while attempting to navigate around them may have a right to compensation.
In these situations, there is a breach of the duty of care if a property owner fails to clean up the mess, remove the obstruction, or post signs regarding the danger.
Compensation for Your Injuries
A victim in a slip and fall case may suffer serious injuries, including head trauma, back injuries, broken bones, lacerations, and bruises. If you were hurt, you may be able to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills;
- Your lost wages;
- Pain and suffering;
- Losses related to your personal relationships, including your spouse, children, and loved ones; and,
- Other losses depending on your circumstances.
Note that you are limited in recovering compensation if your own conduct was a factor in your slip and fall accident. Illinois’ comparative negligence law will reduce your compensation by the percentage of fault attributable to your actions. For example, ignoring a sign that warns you about a wet surface may mean you bear some of the blame for your own injuries.
Schedule a Consultation with a Knowledgeable Slip and Fall Attorney in Chicago
For more information on slip and fall accidents, or to schedule a free consultation, please contact the attorneys at Michael T. Friedman & Associates at 312-339-8816. You can also find out more information about our personal injury services by visiting our website.