Personal Injury Attorney Near Me
As you are driving along Interstate 90/94, riding your bike along Lake Shore Drive, or visiting one of Chicago’s world-renowned hospitals, you never expect that you could be the victim of an injury. Unfortunately, many of the people you encounter during your daily routine are not thinking about your safety. Accidents are common, and they can cause significant losses and quality of life issues.
Our Chicago personal injury attorneys at Michael T. Friedman & Associates are dedicated to helping you get your life back when you are hurt due to someone else’s negligence. We will pursue the responsible party until you get the compensation you deserve. Please contact our office to schedule your free consultation today.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries
Accidents happen for a reason, and it is usually because someone was careless or reckless. In legal terms, this conduct is known as negligence and you need to establish very specific elements to recover compensation for your losses. Our personal injury lawyers are knowledgeable in a wide range of accident cases, including:
- Traffic-Related Crashes: Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents can cause serious injuries when drivers are not exercising reasonable care. As a pedestrian or bicyclist, you can even be hurt in an incident when you are not behind the wheel.
- Hazardous Conditions on Property: Owners, occupiers, and others in control of property have an obligation under Illinois law to keep the premises safe. Their failure can lead to severe personal injuries to victims of slip and fall incidents.
- Medical Errors: Failures or delays in diagnosis, prescribing the wrong drug, surgical errors, and other mistakes are errors that should not happen. Doctors can be liable when they cause injuries through medical malpractice.
- Dangerous Products: You expect consumer product to be defect-free for use when you buy them and take them home. Manufacturers may be responsible for your losses if they are negligent in their duty to provide a safe product.
Recovering Compensation for Your Losses
In cases based on negligence, victims are entitled to recover monetary damages intended to be compensation for their losses. There are two kinds of damages under Illinois law:
- Economic Damages: These are your out-of-pocket, definable losses. In this category, you can recover for medical bills and lost income.
- Non-Economic Damages: You sustain physical and emotional losses as a result of your injuries, even though you may not have a receipt representing your losses. Pain and suffering, scarring, emotional anguish, and related hardships fall in this category.
There may be limitations on your claim, and our personal injury lawyers at Michael T. Friedman & Associates can explain in more detail. You should be aware of:
- Illinois statute of limitations, which requires you to file a lawsuit within two years after you were injured; and,
- The rule of comparative negligence, if your own actions were to blame for your accident. Under this legal concept, your amount of compensation is reduced by the amount of responsibility you bear for the accident.
Talk to a Dedicated Personal Injury Attorney About Your Accident
For more information on your right to compensation after a personal injury accident, please contact our legal team at Michael T. Friedman & Associates. We will schedule a free consultation at our Chicago office, where we can review your situation and explain your legal options.