Common Causes of Car Accidents in the Chicago Area
Work with an experienced attorney if you’ve been injured in a crash and learn about what the common causes of car accidents are in the Chicago Area
Auto accidents happen all the time on the roads and highways of the Chicago area. But why do these crashes occur? Have you ever wondered what the common causes of car accidents are in the Chicago Area? There are a number of different factors, and it takes a skilled personal injury lawyer with Michael T. Friedman & Associates to investigate your car accident and determine who or what was at fault. We have more than two decades of experience handling these challenging issues. We’ve won numerous high-stakes cases over the years, and we leverage that experience to benefit you. Call on us if you would like to work with a legal professional who prioritizes your needs and delivers powerful representation.
Exploring the reasons why car accidents occur
The following are the most common causes of automotive collisions in the Chicago area:
- Distracted driving: Motorists have more distractions available to them than ever before in the form of cell phones, GPS systems and other devices. Drivers must avoid using these devices while their vehicles are in motion. In fact, texting while driving can be more dangerous than operating while intoxicated, as it takes drivers’ eyes off the road for several seconds at a time.
- Intoxication: According to the Illinois DOT, about 30 percent of fatal accidents occurred when a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is an extremely dangerous activity, as intoxication reduces individuals’ reaction times and makes it much more likely that they’ll cause a serious collision. In many instances, drunk drivers may face criminal charges, in addition to the civil action of a personal injury claim.
- Drowsy driving: Many drivers experience lack of sleep, which may result in drowsy driving. Being overly tired can make it more difficult to adjust to changing traffic patterns, and it may even cause motorists to fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Defective parts: Out of 157,814 vehicles involved in Chicago car accidents in 2013, 482 had defective brakes, 313 had defective turn signals and 1,034 had some other type of equipment failure. Some of these issues are the result of defective parts from auto manufacturers, while others stem from poor vehicle maintenance on the part of car owners and repair shops.
- Poor conditions: In our region, the weather can cause some serious issues — especially in the winter. When there is snow and ice on the roads or poor visibility, all motorists must slow down and take other precautions to help ensure everyone remains safe on our roads and highways.
An experienced and knowledgeable auto accident lawyer with our firm can help determine who or what was at fault for a car accident. We investigate the circumstances of your crash, advising you on your best options for moving forward with a potential injury claim.
Work with a trusted car accident lawyer in Chicago
For the reliable representation you need after a serious car accident, meet with a skilled personal injury lawyer at Michael T. Friedman & Associates, located in Chicago’s The Loop. You pay no attorney’s fees unless your claim is successful, and we offer free initial consultations. To get started today, call 312-339-8816 or contact us online.