Workers Compensation

Skilled Chicago Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Advocates for the Rights of Chicago Workers

Sound legal guidance from a Chicago workers compensation lawyer after a serious workplace accident

After a serious workplace accident, you may need to file a workers’ compensation claim to receive the benefits you need to focus on your physical recovery. For the dedicated legal advice you need during this challenging time, turn to the top Chicago workers compensation lawyers at Michael T. Friedman & Associates in Chicago. We provide powerful representation and unwavering personal attention to each of our clients — a result of us keeping our caseload low. If you could use the guidance of a knowledgeable workers’ compensation attorney with a history of success, call on our trusted firm.

What to do after an on-the-job injury

In Illinois, most employers must carry workers’ compensation insurance policies in case their employees are injured in a job-related accident. These benefits of these policies cover medical treatment, partial or total disability, rehabilitation costs and death benefits for the families of workers killed in these accidents. You may be entitled to money while you are off work because of your injury . You may also be entitled to money for the  injury itself , as well as having your medical bills paid with no cost to you. As soon as possible after a workplace accident, you should inform your employer of your injuries — even if they seem relatively minor. We recommend providing this notice in writing so that there is a documented record of it. You must do so within 45 days of the accident, or you may forfeit your right to collect workers’ compensation benefits. If a loved one has died in a workplace accident and you depended on that person to provide financial support to your family, you may be able to seek benefits through the workers’ compensation system. For accidents resulting from negligence on the part of a third party, you may need to file a wrongful death claim.

Filing a claim for workers’ compensation benefits

To get started with a claim, we will need to provide your employer and its insurance company with an Application for Adjustment of Claim with the Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission (IWCC). This is important even if your employer has agreed to pay for your medical treatment.  If there is any type of dispute we may need the IWCC to order benefits to be paid.    We will need the IWCC to approve your final settlement and confirm whether you are getting fair compensation.

In some circumstances, employers and their insurance companies attempt to deny claims, arguing that an injury did not actually occur at work or that the accident was solely the fault of the person injured. Businesses may even go as far as to terminate the employment of an injured worker, an unfair and sometimes illegal action. If you’re facing this difficult situation, we take action on your behalf, investigating the accident and gathering evidence that supports your claim.

Turn to a respected workers’ compensation attorney

If you’ve suffered an injury on the job, meet with an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer at Michael T. Friedman & Associates. Our office is located in The Loop of Chicago, with convenient parking and access to public transportation. To schedule a free initial consultation, please call 312-339-8816 or contact us online today

Text Us