Knowledgeable Chicago Lawyer Fights for Victims of Scaffolding Injuries
Illinois employers have a duty to maintain a safe workplace for employees, which includes compliance with standards established by the federal and state Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The failure to meet these standards can lead to severe injuries for workers, especially those that work on scaffolds.
Serving Chicago-Area Clients for More Than 20 Years
If you’re the victim of a scaffolding injury in the Chicago area, it’s critical to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney at Michael T. Friedman & Associates as soon as possible. Our legal team knows how a severe injury in the workplace can affect multiple aspects of your life, so you can trust our lawyers to fight for your right to compensation after a scaffolding accident.
OSHA Regulations Regarding Scaffolding
Of the 2.3 million estimated employees in the US that work on scaffolds, approximately 4,500 are injured and 60 are killed every year. OSHA has enacted regulations regarding scaffold construction and inspection, which are intended to reduce or eliminate these casualties.
- The physical design and structure of a scaffold must adhere to OSHA requirements regarding the type of equipment, capacity rating, method of construction, and usage. The equipment must be sufficient to carry its own weight, plus at least four times the maximum foreseeable load. Suspension rope must hold at least six times the maximum intended load.
- Employers must retain a competent individual to inspect all scaffolds and their components for visible flaws before use, for every work shift.
- Scaffolding should be erected, moved, taken apart, and altered only under the supervision of a competent person.
- Personal fall protection devices, including belts, harnesses, drop lines, and anchorages should be inspected before use.
- Any materials or equipment determined to be worn or damaged should be removed from service immediately.
Seek Compensation After a Scaffolding Injury
If you’re involved in a workplace accident as a result of your employer’s failure to comply with OSHA standards, you may be able to recover compensation for scaffolding injuries. In this type of personal injury claim, you must prove that your employer acted negligently, and a violation of an OSHA regulation is powerful evidence that he or she failed in the duty to keep employees safe. It’s possible to recover for your losses, including:
- Medical costs;
- Lost wages;
- Pain and suffering; and,
- Other types of losses, depending on the circumstances of your case.
Talk to a Dedicated Scaffolding Injuries Attorney About Your Case
If you’ve suffered a scaffolding injury due to a workplace accident, the lawyers at Michael T. Friedman & Associates can assist in filing your claim for compensation. Our attorneys have been fighting for the rights of injured employees in the Chicago area for more than two decades, and we will aggressively protect your interests. You only pay for our skilled legal services if you win your case, so contact us online today to set up a free case evaluation. We’re also available at 312-339-8816 if you have questions about scaffolding injuries cases.